back in stock as of
april 19th, 2014
first in stock on
october 13th, 2006
|rare youth (usa) #ry-02 cd|
“rare youth” double compact disc set
- black pus - “ghrost”
- furisubi - “sentinels”
- kites - “riding the glass geyser”
- mercy light - “fuck deke” (live at club in-zone)
- jean cozzens - “drum practice”
- james amoeba - “pearl skies”
- siren cult - “celebrity couples”
- amil byleckie - “the eagle’s summation”
- area c - “circadia”
- xerxes - “#4”
- russian tsarcacm - “don’t ever touch me”
- mucid cuspidor - “vile surmiine”
- summer city - “hurry your ass”
- alberich - “everything i’ve ever wanted”
- blue shift - “twist taster”
- feral children - “panic attic”
- siege engine - “untitled”
- i would eat that pizza - “i don’t know how to live my life”
- haunted house - “gravediggers”
- lucky dragons - “shimmering problems / on kitchen floors / outside of kitchen windows”
- synb - “electric gladiators”
- lazy magnet - “voyage of the universal harmony rainbow”
- pedestrian deposit - “you will not treat me this way”
- chris paddock - “4 t-shirts”
- h2h - “liquid sky”
- leif goldberg - “closet day to earth”
- petal boat - “tiny kitten”
- unicorn hard-on - “bird in hand”
- what cheer? brigade - “disco bhangra”
- red delicious - “soda”
- byron house - “snake skein”
- mairead donnelly - “black butterfly”
- black forest / black sea - “old man chepachet”
- total gym - “live at the mutiny”
- workdeath - “i am failure beneath your love”
- diego perez - “squid battles and dies”
- god willing - “drawn edited”
- teenage waistband - “beast”
|first release (...after a 7” single and a cassette) on geoff mullen’s rare youth label - a double-disc compendium of contemporary goings-on in the providence, ri area, as compiled, lovingly, by geoff himself.|
unlike many other providence “scene” compilations that feature, say, artists now signed to load; or artists that are friends with dom “prurient” fernow, this offers a pretty damn subterranean overview of what’s bubbling just underneath the surface of providence’s musical collective consciousness...
|rare youth press release...|
|v/a : rare youth – new music from providence, ri |
here it is…a year in the making…a collection of new music from one of the most fertile and constantly changing locales in the union. featuring over two hours of music and spread out over thirty-eight tracks, rare youth brings together some of the most exciting artists at work in providence right now: work/death, kites, black pus, xerxes, heart2heart, russian tsarcasm, blue shift, lazy magnet, byron house, teenage waistband, black forest/black sea, unicorn hard-on, synb, leif goldberg, siege engine, lucky dragons and many many more.
sequenced to highlight the great diversity of musical stylings in this small town, this cd takes you on a smooth ride down the many colorful roads of: power pop psych noise, abandoned dronescapes, reckless free improvisation, emo power electronics, late night elven dance music, epic psych rock, shredded throat guitar doom, john carpenter-esque synth despair, witty no-fi punkish noise, genuine teenage love songs, total garbage, marching bands, etc. etc.
with the attention that providence has received for being a hub of louder-than-life, experimental music / art, this compilation tries to provide an updated snapshot of the current subterranean goings-on. it includes many of the artists who are responsible for bringing such acclaim and attention to this small community - brian chippendale (lightning bolt, black pus), mat brinkman, leif goldberg, jo dery, christopher forgues - while also highlighting some of the new and young artists who are taking things in different and exciting directions - russian tsarcasm, alberich, heart2heart, blue shift, summer city, byron house. there are also a handful of tracks featuring visiting artists (pedestrian deposit, brian miller and kevin shields…).
hand-packaged in a double-cd gatefold sleeve, with original illustrations and design by christopher forgues - aka cf, kites, paper radio, low tide, fantasy empire, etc. (his work can also be seen in comics anthologies kramer’s ergot, the ganzfeld, paper rodeo).
compiled and edited by geoff mullen.
edition of 1000 copies.