back in stock as of
april 8th, 2014
first in stock on
april 3rd, 2012
|em records (japan) #em 1101 cd|
thonghuad faited “diew sor isan • the north east thai violin of thonghuad faited” compact disc
- diew sor (sor solo) (2:25)
- diew sor kid hod baan (sor solo - missing home) (3:52)
- ruammit (mix up) (3:30)
- eua aree see sor (eua aree playing sor) (3:24)
- hae klongyao (klongyao drum parade) (3:10)
- lam plearn isan samakkee (lam plearn isan unity) (4:20)
- zeang klong kao (ricebox zeang) (3:31)
- hongthong kanong lam (hongthong's rumble dance) (3:45)
- waen wiset (baanleng) (magic glasses (instrumental)) (2:51)
- diew sor radap lok (sor solo - world class) (2:55)
- sinchai taam fan (sinchai finding girlfriend) (2:43)
- diew sor lom pat prao (sor solo – wind blowing the coconut tree) (2:18)
- diew sor - diew khaen (sor solo – khaen solo) (3:31)
- lam tud (lam tud) (2:46)
- lam plearn kieow lam plearn (lam plearn chatting up lam plearn) (3:24)
|april 2012 release ; ... this one took me by surprise :: expecting a slightly hipper-than-usual assortment of studio folk recordings of thai two-string fiddle music, instead we get a series of full-band arrangements of loping, almost commune-psych leaning (the similarities to the music of the various international harvester spin-offs to the music heard in the sound-sample to your left are undeniable) jams, all featuring the gorgeous, exploratory string-work of thonghuad faited ...|
|em records press release...|
catalogue# : em1101 lp & cd
artist : thonghuad faited
title : diew sor isan : the north east thai violin of thonghuad faited
media : cd
+ first release outside of thailand and the first-time ever reissue in worldwide
+ anthology of the 1970s recordings by legendary number one 'sor warrior' from isan, thailand
+ collection of heavy, deep & funky molam inst. and some vox tunes
+ supported by maft sai (zudrangma) and chris menist of paradise bangkok
+ gatefold cardboard sleeve jacket plus inserts
+ english-japanese liner notes
we are concentrating on the ‘sor’ from thailand, the traditional two-stringed violin that is a mainstay of isan musical culture.
"diew sor isan : the north east thai violin of thonghuad faited" focuses on the talents of one of the instrument’s greatest proponents and brings his key releases together onto one anthology for the first time.
thonghuad comes from the ‘molam’ tradition, the dominant rural music that hails from isan, the north east thai province that borders with laos and cambodia. underpinned by woozy basslines, drones and clattering percussion, his music is characterised by sprightly melodies through to haunting dirges that could come from as far a field as eastern china, or even the celtic traditions of ireland.
detailed notes trace his history from humble beginnings to playing up to five gigs a night in bangkok at the peak of his fame. whether it’s playing beautifully crafted solo pieces, or providing a counterpoint for raw vocal work, thonghuad faited is a nationally recognised master of his craft who has additionally cut sides with dozens of established singers over the years, such as waipod petchsupan and angkanang kunchai.
percussive, otherworldly and universal, we are proud to present this unique music to the world, much of it released outside of thailand for the first time.