back in stock as of
december 1st, 2011
first in stock on
august 25th, 2008
|drag city (usa) #dc 360 cd|
j. spaceman / sun city girls “mister lonely • music from a film by harmony korine” compact disc
- diego luna / j. spaceman - michael's opening (1:24)
- j. spaceman - blues 1 (1:46)
- j. spaceman - blues 2 (intro) (0:39)
- sun city girls - 3d girls (1:56)
- j. spaceman - panama 1 (4:28)
- sun city girls - spook (4:24)
- j. spaceman - garden walk (1:39)
- sun city girls - steppe spiritual (2:53)
- j. spaceman - pope in the bath (1:47)
- britta gartner - nun's prayer (0:24)
- sun city girls - mr. lonely viola (4:10)
- sun city girls - beryl scepter (0:59)
- rachel korine - red riding hood's hangman (1:01)
- j. spaceman - stooges harmonica (0:46)
- werner herzog - father umbrillo's broken nation (1:16)
- j. spaceman - musicbox underwater (3:45)
- sun city girls - circus theme (2:42)
- sun city girls - vine street piano (2:56)
- j. spaceman - paris beach (2:32)
- sun city girls - farewell (2:16)
|april 2008 release ; the soundtrack to harmony korine’s 2008 film ...|
not too familiar w/ j.’s post spacemen 3 work, but of course rick, alan, and charlie are all bonafide film-score buffs & provide mood admirably throughout (listen to the sound-sample for a taste) ...
|drag city press release...|
|j. spaceman / sun city girls |
music from a film by harmony korine
when harmony korine started the production for his film mister lonely back in 2006, he asked two of his favorite artists to send him music to accompany the images and scenes he was putting together. they were busy, so fuck ‘em, they get no ink here — but both jason spaceman and sun city girls were actually his favorites anyway. some of the sounds these two formidable musicals acts made comprise the all-new soundtrack album, mister lonely – music from a film by harmony korine.
korine’s previous films have found their truths in unblinking realities cross-cut with surreal images, exposing an emotional core that remains elusive after the movie is over — ennui, delight, disgust, celebration... soft-core snuff porn? mister lonely ... subtly heightens all these effects with a narrative involving celebrity impersonators searching for a place where they just can be themselves and nuns who have discovered a new way to fly.
the soundtrack for mister lonely is deceptively minimal — a guitar or piano line that blinks past repetition and blushes into something grander; a motif reappearing under new auspices; link pieces that become spotlight moments, densely worked-out, stars in their own right. classic soundtrack sounds are modern and nostalgic, which may make the progressive tilt of mister lonely... 2008’s #1 dark-horse chart-topper!
working independently and never collaborating (would you believe in studios right next door to each other? how about in same studio during different hours of the day?), jason spaceman and sun city girls employ an instrumental approach for the sounds here, with one or two chanted exceptions. their music conspires in an exquisite corpse-like fashion — without knowing what the other was doing, they’ve each brought half a body to the film, supplying the apparitional and austere sounds of a world in which everyone is something they’re not — ie., the people they dream of being.