new to stock as of
august 9th, 2013
|dog w/a bone (usa) #dwab 05 cd|
“spoken music concert at paula cooper gallery” compact disc
- emmett williams - four-directional song of doubt for five voices (6:29)
- anne tardos - for brian buczak (5:18)
- jackson mac low - 36th - 42nd merzgedichte in memoriam kurt schwitters (6:29)
- jackson mac low - twenties 3: travesty 1 (dialog) (4:28)
- john cage - empty words, part iv (20:10)
- jackson mac low - the happy birthday, anne, vocabulary, gathas (6:48)
- dick higgins - quartet (16:28)
- emmett williams - cellar song for five voices (12:26)
|2002 release ; ... phenomenal lineup of text-sound & fluxus vets “recorded live on february 6, 1990, 8pm, at the paula cooper gallery, 155 wooster street new york.” ...|
|dog w/a bone press release...|
the s.e.m. ensemble's spoken music concert took place on tuesday, february 6, 1990, at the paula cooper gallery in new york, then on wooster street in soho. it was performed by members of the s.e.m. ensemble: petr kotik (director), chris nappi, and joseph kubera, and ben neill (sound mix) ; and four guests: john cage, dick higgins, jackson mac low, and anne tardos ...
'empty words', written in 1973-74, is arguably the most musical of john cage's texts. made up of fragments from the journals of henry david thoreau, it consists of four parts. the first is a chance-derived mix of phrases, words, syllables, and single letters; subsequent parts each eliminate one of these textual elements from the mix. by the fourth part (performed here), there is nothing left but single letters. as the text becomes simpler and simpler, silences become more and more prominent.